History of Brearton Church

Built in 1836 by JG Pritchett as a chapel of ease of Knaresborough, St John the Baptist is more Georgian in character than Victorian. Pevsner describes it as “an untouched little Gothic box, in magnesian limestone with grey gritstone dressings. The altar has on one side a two-decker pulpit, and in the other a sunken vestry enclosure with a tiny fireplace.